Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Final Project Proposal

I am sure many ideas will change in the process but I have tried to outline what I intend to do for the final project.

I have a lot of ideas floating around for the final project. After listening to Aphex Twin in class, I have really gotten into his music. What especially intrigues me is the use of ambient music, soft sustained synths and melodies, with the use of breakbeats more generally found in drum and bass. In this project I would like to dedicate some time to emulate his style. As of now, I don’t know how to do the break beats but my buddy used some in his last project and I hope he can show me how he did it. I figure I can get some interesting sounds out of Radial.

I would like to incorporate other styles as well. I am especially interested in the trance and its ability to engage the listener with its simplicity. I want to spend some time with the Snoman book and try to create really tight sounding drums as described in the text. Creating drum sounds can take a long time, especially when dealing with compressions, noise gates, filters, envelope filters, and other effects to really nail the sound.

In general I would like to spend more time dealing with effects as well. One cool effect I saw in order to make ghostly voice was to reverse a track, put reverb, and then reverse it back. I want to find interesting combinations and tricks to get different sounds. I also want to include some samples which I can edit in Recycle.

I want to try to alternate between the two styles and then try to blend them in the end and a big climax. This will be very interesting compositionally since ambient music tells a story and trance just changes every 8 measures or so. I am not sure how I will do it yet, but I will experiment with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment