Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Assignment 3

Assignment 3 was to write a minute long clip in Reason using drums, bass, harmonic pads, and a lead line.

I began by writing a drum line using Redrum. I found a hip hop type kit and just started with a simple bass line. I tried to involved the entire drum kit to really texture the drum sound. It ended up being jungle beat although maybe a little slow. I also threw a light chorus/flanger on the beat. There is also some delay on some of the sounds as well as panning so the sounds bounce between the speakers.

I then added a simple bass line using Thor. I tried a few different beats but I was having trouble with the timbres being in the same frequency as the lead lines I tried to write. The bass line ended up being very simple and I was able to work off of it to make a cool lead line.

For the lead line I used the subtractor through the RPG-8. I just used simple octave, root-third, and root-fifth combinations. I tried a few variations of note combinations between 3-1, 4-2, and the number of octaves. I believe I ended up suing 3 octaves and 4-2. In order to get the sound I wanted with the octave I needed to lift up the keys and press them again to start the arpegiator again. I used slight reverb and filter to give a little more texture.

The harmonic pads were very versatile since they were polyphonic. I used the subtractor to find the sound which ended up being "Release pad". I placed a single note at the beginning of each measure. The harmonic pad had a slow attack and decay which gave a nice swell effect. I used the harmonic pad in to change the feel of the song. Although the beat, bass, and lead line stay the same the harmonic pads creates different tension through the clip



Reason.aif - Sean McCusker

No comments:

Post a Comment